by Patrick Stubbers, Seabear
Here at Seabear we love a good summer watermelon salad. It’s a great dish whether you are vegan or not.
- 1 large watermelon, cubed about 1 inch
- 1 large bulb of fennel, shaved thin (slice in half and make a triangle cut to get out the core)
- pineapple-jalapeño vinaigrette
- edible flowers and micro greens (optional)
For the Vinaigrette
- half of a pineapple (cleaned, cored and cut in rough pieces)
- 2 jalapeños (roasted until blackened, then scrape away the black with the back of a knife and remove seeds)
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil
- pinch of salt and pepper
For the vinaigrette, get out the blender and give this all a real good blend for about 1 minute. You will have a bit extra, but it makes a great marinade for anything, including tofu on the grill.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the watermelon, fennel and as much vinaigrette as you need to coat everything heavily. Transfer to your serving dish, and garnish to your heart’s delight with hand-torn basil and mint. If you have edible flowers and micro greens, toss ‘em on, too. If you really don’t like fennel or want to mix it up, celery is a great substitute.
Feeds 4-8 depending on size of watermelon.